Sunday, October 31, 2004

Is .NET really s l o w ???

ACT! is a very propular Contact Management for salesmen. The latest version was released (after 2 year) is ACT! 2005. The user reviews in pcmagazine are very very bad. It seems the main problem is that it is s l o w.

"The main problem we encountered is that it is agonizinly slow loading and although we have speeded up actual usage by changing our computers settings, it is still slow to go from screen to screen. We contacted ACT and they admitted to a problem with the Microsoft.net Framework. They are working on it and I suggest to wait unitl there is an upgrade." (October 2004)

"I returned my copy for a refund as I found the slow response time to be unacceptable."(October 2004)

Is .NET really that slow? or is it just bad programming ?

I'm waiting for the upgrade before I will buy my copy.







1 Comments:

At 2:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, .NET applications are really slow. I say this from experience of being a developer for the last 12 years. I am presently using C# for my main development only because my company wants to jump at all news technologies introduced by Microsoft. I think most companies are like this. No real technology evaluation are ever done, they just lap up whatever is dished out by vendors.
Anyway, applications created in MFC, Borland Delphi/C++ or even VB are much more responsive than a simple .NET Windows application. This is true, you can try it for yourself. I have read in many many websites that .NET application should have equal or better performance than C++ application and they have self-tuning garbage collector etc etc etc-- yes, all of that is self-tuning GARBAGE! Native code still runs much faster than managed code.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home